My walk through life with Fibromyalgia.
From the brink of despair to feeling human again. Determination, hard work, persistence, and lots of love and support from those closest to me.
Join me as I look back at how far I have come
in my quest to feel normal.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Who says you can't run when you have Fibromyalgia?

Dancing the Happy Dance with Sister in Law Tessa
Jennifer and myself waiting for the start of our race.

This says it all.


So I started running...yes you can run when you have Fibromyalgia. I have had people say " Oh I was told you can't run when you have fibro" Well doctors have told me I can't do a lot of things that I do.  Who are they to determine what we can and can't do.  I am the navigator of my life and I will try everything I want to try go where I want to go and be WHO I want to be and bring a victim of this disorder is not what I want to be.
To prepare for running I actually did a 5K in April for the National Multiple Scoliosis Association (MS Walk).  This is was the 5th year for and my 3rd as a team captain.  My team was small consisting of 5 people. Together we raised over $500.  During this event I only ran for about 3 minutes.  But I was inspired to run more.  I started training for a jogging event by going around my block alternating walking and jogging.  I start out jogging for about 3 minutes and then alternate walking and jogging for the remainder of the time.  I am able to make it around the block in 5 1/2 minutes. Not to bad since the block is 1/2 a mile around.
 My next event was a benefit for a fallen soldier.  This was a 5K that was on a route that the fallen soldier use to run when he was home on leave.  This one I power walked with my dear friend Sandra and we finished in 49 minutes.
This weekend I walk/jogged in an official 5K with my sister in law's Jennifer and Tessa.  Tessa has been doing 10K's and 1/2 Marathons since the beginning of the year and like myself this was Jennifer's first race. I did a lot better then I thought I would.  I started out great, paced myself and ended up finishing 22 out of 33 for my age group of 40-44.  I used the GPS on my phone along with iMap My Run Program.  I did it in 38.21 min at a pace of 11.48.
I am so happy I did this run.  I was a little sore later that day  and my feet are sore even now
days later but it was well worth it.!  I have already signed up for my next 5k and I am contemplation joining a running club so I have people to inspire me to run on a consistent basis.





No comments:

Post a Comment